Monday, September 02, 2019

School dinners

Somehow, despite following a number of local food bloggers on Twitter, I only discovered the existence of Street Food Circus on my doorstep on Friday, completely by chance. In truth, it's only been resident in the Old School Yard behind the vacant Corporation pub in August - a month during which we've been largely away from Cardiff.

Determined to make up for lost time, we headed there on Saturday evening to sample some of the smorgasbord of delights on offer: jackfruit roti from Brother Thai, tapas and churros from Ells Spanish Kitchen, Bombay fries with Thousand Island dressing from Tukka Tuk and a heap of hand-cooked tortillas piled high with pulled pork, cheese, salsa, chimichurri, mint yoghurt, jalapenos and pickled onions courtesy of The Pork Society. The latter in particular was absolutely sensational. No photo, I'm afraid - by the time I'd got it back to the table, I was too delirious at the prospect of stuffing it in my face to consider pausing to take a picture.

There was a great buzz about the place - helped, no doubt, by the rusty bus beer bar and separate cocktail cabin - and the lighting and canopies ensure that darkening evenings and the Welsh weather are catered for just as well as your appetite.

If you haven't already been - or, like me, you have but ever since have been fantasising about going back - then the good news is that Street Food Circus will continue throughout September. Further opportunity to try out some of the places my belt buckle wouldn't allow on Saturday is very welcome indeed.

No comments: