Friday, August 30, 2019

"I was so surprised I almost dropped my syringe"

Nick Cave's site The Red Hand Files continues to offer up fascinating insights and revelations - most recently his comments about his break-up with PJ Harvey: "I still had a certain amount of work to do on my understanding of the concept of monogamy and Polly had her own issues, I suspect, but I think at the end of the day it came down to the fact that we were both fiercely creative people, each too self-absorbed to ever be able to inhabit the same space in any truly meaningful way ... Polly's commitment to her own work was probably as narcissistic and egomaniacal as my own, although I was so deep into my own shit that I can't really comment on this with any certainty."

However, the split directly inspired The Boatman's Call, the first Cave LP I really got into - the singer admitting that he's "never one to waste a good crisis" - so for that he (and we) can be thankful.

All of which reminded me that PJ Harvey actually recorded a spectral, slow-motion cover of 'Red Right Hand' back in 2014 for the BBC series Peaky Blinders that is (naturally) well worth three minutes of your time.

No comments: