Friday, April 27, 2007

Reluctant nomad

Tomorrow will see me making my third significant move in the space of less than three years.

In September 2004, after seven years in Nottingham, I swapped East Midlands for West, and then in January last year left Birmingham, venturing south and west across the border into Wales.

Here I was in Cardiff, trundling along happily enough, settled and comfortable, enthusiastically engaged in all manner of activities both work-related and extra-curricular. And now I'm about to uproot again, this time to Abingdon - and this time forced to leave a certain special someone behind.

"Why do it?", you may well ask. Gainful employment is the simple answer. Suffice to say that when an opportunity like this one arises, you just don't go passing it up - and so I didn't.

That's not to say I don't feel how much of a wrench it's going to be to have to leave. But for someone who has a near pathological aversion to change, I actually often surprise myself with my adaptability to new circumstances. In any case, Cardiff certainly hasn't seen the back of me - that's what weekends are going to be for.

So, what does the move mean for this 'ere blog? Not a great deal, I imagine, though my gig-going is likely to suffer significantly - not least because the nearest major venue, the Oxford Zodiac, is closing its doors in the middle of May for refurbishment and conversion into an Academy venue. Oh joy - just in time for my arrival...

In the more immediate term I'm likely to be without internet access for a few days - but then you've coped quite comfortably without my ramblings before, and I'm sure you'll cope quite comfortably again.

Until then, it's nos da from me...

4 comments:

Timbo said...

Ah well, good luck with the move Benny boy.

swisslet said...

good luck with that Ben - I'm frequently down Oxford way, and it's not so bad really. I'm not sure the world needs another Academy venue, but it should attract a few more bands to the area.... maybe.

ST

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Good luck with the move to Abingdon. The old Zodiac is/was quality...I've seen many a good gig there. It'll be interesting to see what the new one will be like.