Friday, September 03, 2021

Back to the future

Reuniting to release not just a couple of new songs but a whole new album, a mere four decades after the last? Little wonder that ABBA - the absolute best pop band of all time bar none (just in case you're wondering where I stand) - are dominating the headlines. Taster 'I Still Have Faith In You' has all of the hallmarks of a classic ABBA ballad, sweeping and slightly bittersweet, and while I'm less convinced by 'Don't Shut Me Down' (unlike the Guardian's Jude Rogers), it might yet win me around.

But will I be eagerly queuing up (online) on Tuesday in the hope of bagging a ticket to one of their Voyage shows, set to take place in a purpose-built arena in London in May next year, in which the band will appear as digital avatars? No. It all sounds very technically sophisticated and looks visually impressive, and the band and associated creatives do a decent job of talking up the experience - but give me real-life, flesh-and-blood live performances any time.

No comments: