Wednesday, June 30, 2021

Storm warning

"'Give A Fuck Fatigue' is an ode to the occasional dispassion brought about by the mandatory concern for every perceived injustice that happens, has happened and might yet happen that is being foisted upon the masses by super-yacht-dwelling tech barons who monetise our indignation." Take note, folks: THAT's how to talk up your new single.

I'll admit I haven't yet fallen for Tropical Fuck Storm in the same way that I did for The Drones, Gareth Liddiard and Fiona Kitschin's previous outfit, but that might all change with new album Deep States. Certainly, 'Give A Fuck Fatigue' (or 'G.A.F.F.' in polite company) finds Liddiard at his lyrical best, commenting acerbically on the surrealism, horror and insanity of the modern world. Sample: "I'll take the wages of sin over the minimum wage / I'd blow myself up too, man, it's been one of them days / But I'm not a kamikaze, don't wanna die a martyr / I'm just looking for a latte and a fucking phone charger."

No comments: