Wednesday, June 23, 2021

Kit man

When I discovered that Matt Baty was (until recently) the drummer for Richard Dawson, I assumed it was just a spot of moonlighting behind a kit. On the contrary - as he told Joe Thompson of Hey Colossus in a recent Wrong Speed Records Chat, he was always a drummer until taking up singing duties for current band Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs. As he explained, it's been a learning curve - primarily a matter of feeling comfortable with the exposure, being up front and centre.

Over the course of an hour and a half, Baty talked about the equally steep learning curve he experienced having set up his label Box Records, the stressful (and expensive) process of acquiring visas to tour the US, levels of ambition and wearing his trademark Newcastle Utd shorts onstage, plus records by Will Haven, Scott Walker and long-time associates GNOD. I've not lived in the North East since I was 19, and his enthusiasm for the local scene made me feel as though I've missed out.

The Wrong Speed Record Chats are fast becoming my go-to late-night wind-down viewing, regardless of whether I'm familiar with the guest. This week alone, I've found myself listening to ex-Isis man Aaron Turner talk to Thompson about the trials and tribulations of running not one but two record labels, convinced to investigate Powerage by AC/DC evangelist Anthea Leyland and nodding in reluctant agreement with Kaila Whyte (Youth Man/Blue Ruth) that the original Carpenters version of 'Superstar' is better than Sonic Youth's cover. (When it comes to 'Ticket To Ride', though, I'm firmly Team Beatles.)

No comments: