Monday, May 31, 2021

"I’m not where I am today to do nothing about this"

First it was Tamanna Rahman's investigation into sexism and misogyny in the music industry, then it was Ian Wright's exploration of domestic abuse and its devastating long-term impact on children, and now I've written about Leigh-Anne Pinnock's attempts to confront racism from within the "pop bubble" she inhabits. It seems I'm busy establishing myself as Buzz's go-to reviewer for hard-hitting documentaries...

Leigh-Anne: Race, Pop & Power follows Little Mix star Pinnock as she set out to act on her growing awareness of racism both in her immediate environment and in wider society. But, as she discovers, using the platform that her privilege affords her brings backlash and results in some very difficult conversations, including with the band's label Sony and those closest to her.

No comments: