Tuesday, May 25, 2021

A sight for sore eyes

"Having a lie down because I tried to read the Primavera poster line-up without glasses", admitted Jane Weaver. I too felt like a lie down when I saw the 2022 bill, announced today, though for different reasons - just contemplating the prospect of trying to see that many great acts over the course of 11 days (yes, really) was exhausting. Festival stamina is not something I'm short of - not even now I'm into my fifth decade - but I suspect it would be tested to the limit.

It's a commendably bold response from the organisers, who've been forced to cancel the festival two years in a row. Everywhere you look (wearing glasses advisable) there are stand-outs: Nick Cave, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Dinosaur Jr, Kim Gordon, Mogwai, Shellac, Yo La Tengo, Les Savy Fav, Sharon Van Etten, Courtney Barnett, Fontaines DC, Beck, Beach House, Caribou, Parquet Courts, Tropical Fuck Storm, Einsturzende Neubauten, Lightning Bolt, Working Mens Club, The Jesus & Mary Chain, reformed cult heroes Pavement and Bikini Kill... Here's hoping that these best-laid plans actually come to fruition.

No comments: