Sunday, January 12, 2020

"The hands of God"

Not for the first time a major musician dies and my almost complete ignorance is exposed. As for many music fans of my generation (I imagine), I first became aware of Rush as the butt of a jokey line in Pavement's 'Stereo' - but the reaction to the death of drummer and principal lyricist Neil Peart suggests that I should have been paying more attention since then.

Dave Grohl has called him "a true giant in the history of rock and roll" and his Nirvana bandmate Krist Novoselic, Geezer Butler, Brian Wilson, Dave Lombardo, Chuck D and Billy Corgan (whose own band were also on the receiving end of Stephen Malkmus' mockery, of course) have also paid tribute, as well as members of Metallica and Kiss. John Stanier of Helmet and Battles has previously identified Peart as his drumming hero and inspiration, and named not one but two Rush albums among his favourites for a Quietus' Baker's Dozen feature in 2015.

Time for my listening habits to take a prog turn, perhaps?

No comments: