Saturday, September 14, 2019

Snooker loopy

At some point, in the not-too-distant future, it might stop seeming bizarre that the greatest snooker player of my youth - a man at the time relentlessly caricatured as intensely dull - is not only an enormous prog/electronica/krautrock fan but now actually a professional musician himself, having been inspired to take up the modular synth after seeing a Teeth Of The Sea member's side project at a Sly & The Family Drone gig. But that time hasn't come yet.

Here's Steve Davis talking to the Quietus' Patrick Clarke together with his bandmates in The Utopia Strong, seasoned veterans Kavus Torabi and Michael J. York. He might not yet be used to the drudgery of touring and lugging your gear around, but Davis' youthful enthusiasm and passion for his new career is abundantly clear: "I've just had my 62nd birthday and all I'm looking forward to is when my album comes out! What fun that I can do that."

No comments: