Monday, April 08, 2019

Mod rule

I've written previously about Sleaford Mods' success and the way it inevitably problematises their popular image, but Jason Williamson has taken exception to my latest comments, even though they appear within a five-star review of Friday's gig at Cardiff University. Perhaps they weren't expressed quite as clearly as I'd intended and I regret using the phrase "pot-calling-the-kettle-black" in relation to his criticism of IDLES, but I'd maintain that generally speaking the review was fair comment.

Still, I'm certainly not the first to feel the sharp edge of Williamson's tongue and won't be the last - and, for what it's worth, the tension between their roots and popular image and the position in which they now find themselves makes an already vital band even more fascinating.

One thing I really should have mentioned in the review is how much more sense they make live. If you get the opportunity, go and see them - Williamson puts in incredible performances night after night.

Update: Williamson has apologised for losing his temper, which is very decent of him. I genuinely didn't set out to cause offence, but it's a tricky subject to broach.

No comments: