Sunday, April 01, 2007

Places In London I Now Know Better: Richmond / Southbank

(I did say this might become a semi-regular feature...)

Highly recommended: Tas Pide, a Turkish (well, Anatolian to be precise) restaurant very close to The Globe and set back a short way from the Thames. Really tasty food (I had the lamb pide - the Turkish take on wood-fired pizza), very good value (the two course set meal is only £8.25) and free red lentil soup, bread and olives to start. And as if that wasn't enough, it's also the place to spot A-list celebs, if our experience today was anything to go by - just a couple of tables across was Elizabeth Estensen, aka Diane from off of 'Emmerdale'...

Not recommended at all: Park Avenue, an awful little sticky, grubby, expensive hellhole of a club in the ocean of tranquillity and pleasantness that is Richmond. The company and a procession of sambucas made it just about bearable.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you went to Park Avenue of all the places in London...I hope you've got a good excuse!

Ben said...

Er, I was staying a few hundred metres away and was told by my hosts that it was the only place open late in Richmond. Nope, that still doesn't excuse it...