Tuesday, September 04, 2012

Parties time again

At last, thankfully. I've been able to get myself sorted out with a place in a chalet for the Shellac ATP. It just wouldn't feel right going a whole year without one, even if it will be a bit different being back at the smaller Camber Sands site that hosted the first one I ever went to, Mogwai's legendary event of 2000. Yesterday's additions to the bill (primarily Oxbow and Nina Nastasia) didn't really boost my interest that much, but there's more to come and I did discover over the weekend that Red Fang will be well worth watching.

My festival appetite was temporarily whetted at the weekend with the 1-2-3-4 in the hipster heartland that is Shoreditch. A full review will follow some time in the distant future, but suffice to say for the time being that this year's event was far better organised than 2010's, I witnessed some great sets (Deap Vally, The Pre New, Jeff The Brotherhood, Black Moth and of course the Buzzcocks) and Iceage's performance is likely to do for New Brigade what Animal Collective's Glastonbury set in 2009 did for Merriweather Post Pavilion i.e. make it too painful to listen to...

3 comments:

skif said...

I'm very partial to a bit of Nina, but I imagine she'll very much be a Sunday afternoon option, something light for the hungover.

Also, I remember when I used to read Careless Talk Cost Lives, they always used to talk up Oxbow, so I'm keen to see them.

Good to have you aboard the ATP action!

Also, yes I'd say far and away that, like Field Day, 1234 have got their house in order after a few years of chaos. Hopefully they can keep it up, and keep the bills as good as they are at such a low price.

Ben said...

I imagine Nina Nastasia in the same role as Marissa Nadler at the Godspeed! event, then. Very welcome indeed. I've heard good things about Oxbow too, but not enough to get me really enthusiastic yet.

As for the 1-2-3-4, same time next year!

skif said...

Not quite as spooky and gothic as Marissa, more dusty Americana, but yeah in terms of standing out from the rest of the acts then probably, aye.

Once saw Nina do a show at a music hall in Leeds with a couple of Tuuvan throat singers, which was astonishing. On her own, she may be a little dry and downbeat for some tastes, but if she plays 'Stormy Weather', a happy bunny I will be.