Thursday, July 12, 2007

Know Your Enemy

"Our Love To Admire won't do much beside inspire more fan blogs devoted to Banksian poesy. A grotesque example of luxury hardened by luxury, Our Love promises as much decadence as its Econoline van spare tire cover art ... For those interested in such things, Our Love to Admire shows an advance: now they ape New Order's Movement, surely that combo's most static and dullest album".

Alfred Soto's Stylus review of Interpol's new album may be spiteful and jaundiced - but it's also a rather entertaining read, as most spiteful and jaundiced assassination jobs are.

Not that I agree, though - now on its fifth or sixth spin as I type, Our Love To Admire is slowly growing on me. It has to be said, though, that there's not a great deal in the way of development and Paul Banks clearly hasn't been listening to the hoots of derision that have greeted his lyrics in the past. "Tonight I'm going to rest my chemistry"? "You wear those shoes like a dove"? 'No I In Threesome'? Dear oh dear...

4 comments:

swisslet said...

well, it's vaguely amusing that someone can be quite so vindictive about a band and in such terms --- but what's he got to say about the album? He even gets one of the track names wrong when he's slating it (now corrected, but hardly a sign that he's listened to it, as the title is featured in the chorus of the song in question).

Scoring points at Interpol's expense. They're an easy target, but I like "Turn On The Bright Lights", and I think "Antics" is pretty good. After a few listens, this one seems okay too.

grumble grumble.

The reviewer is right about one thing though: it is a shit album cover, albeit an improvement on the last one.

Would you have that on a t-shirt?

Nope. Me neither.

ST

Betty said...

Yes, but Banksey (as they're all calling him) IS a poet compared to Mr Edith Bowman of The Editors - "ooh, it's ever so sad/when someone has to go into hospital!" and the lines which were mentioned in a previous comment - "isn't it weird/how spiders get in the bath/when it's upstairs".

Ben said...

Swiss Toni: True, there's not much said directly about the album - more the rantings of someone who approached it from a prejudiced perspective, but it still entertained me. The point about the album art is spot on.

Betty: I have to disagree there. Those two examples are bad, but Banks has managed to spin out some awful drivel over three albums as compared to Editors' two. You can find a cringeworthy line in nearly every Interpol song. All the same, as ST has said on his own blog, the lyrics are generally compensated for by the music and I haven't yet found much to interest or excite me about the new Editors album.

Del said...

I agree with your sentiments, Ben. I think you can find the Interpol lyrics endearing because the music around it is so good.

I like the new album. Loved the the first more, but it's better than the second. Early days though...