Monday, August 23, 2004

Expressway to my skull

As if I wasn't chuffed enough to have snapped up a ticket for Sonic Youth's only UK gig this year (fair enough, it's seated, but at least I'll be there), Stylus's Mike Shiflet only goes and compiles his Top Ten Things About The Sonic Youth Show In Cleveland: "Whatever the reason, the Youth brought the noise to levels I'd yet to witness in the numerous times I've seen them the past few years. Lots of effect-tweaking, feedback & extension of songs. Quite a few even 'jammed' out well beyond the ten-minute mark. Awesome". Having grown to love their latest long-player Sonic Nurse rather more than my initial thoughts might suggest, I'm salivating in anticipation.

On the reviews front, Dave McGonigle is impressed by the Mark Lanegan Band's Bubblegum and Ian Mathers decrees Winchester Cathedral by Scouse oddballs Clinic to be Album Of The Week, making it probably the most critically lauded LP named after a major religious building ever. Funds permitting, both albums should find their way into my collection in the near future.

No comments: