Thursday, September 19, 2002

Rock 'n' roll motherfucker

I see Britney's going to release her no doubt splendid cover of Joan Jett's classic 'I Love Rock 'N' Roll'. I wonder if she loves it as much as she loves those bizarrely anti-feminist songtitles - 'Hit Me One More Time', 'Born To Make You Happy' and 'I'm A Slave 4 U'. As some comedian said recently, "What's she going to follow them up with? 'Yes, I Just Walked Into A Door, Honest'?" Maybe that'll come after she's proclaimed her love for all things rock.

Incidentally, 'I Love Rock 'N' Roll' is not only a fine song in its own right, but also the backbone of the best and most lyrically amusing song Five ever recorded. Next time you hear it, listen out for the lines "I'm the bad boy you invite to dinner / I ain't got no manners cos I eat with my fingers". And laugh.

No comments: