Thursday, February 16, 2023

"It was like nothing I'd ever heard"

As if the prospect of seeing Mogwai for the first time in over a decade wasn't reason enough to be looking forward to tonight's show in Cardiff, they'll have the reformed Brainiac in tow.

Back in the 90s, the band passed me by, and I'll admit to knowing next to nothing about them other than that there was a connection with Eli Janney and Girls Against Boys. That is, until I came across this Guardian article by Stevie Chick, which serves as the perfect primer.

Chick has confessed to being initially baffled and horrified by his first exposure to Brainiac, but the album soon clicked and he rapidly became a fanboy. As the piece makes clear, he's not alone in regarding them as cult heroes - the likes of Kim Deal and Cedric Bixler-Zavala do too.

Personally, I've so far struggled to get my head around second album Bonsai Superstar - described by guitarist John Schmersal as "something more further-flung" than debut Smack Bunny Baby - but suspect they may make a whole lot more sense live, even without maverick frontman Tim Taylor.

No comments: