Friday, March 25, 2022

Better late than never

One of my biggest music-related regrets is the misunderstanding that led to me missing Therapy?'s October 1995 gig at the Mayfair in Newcastle, when the trio were at the absolute peak of their powers. The long, long wait to make amends by seeing them play a proper club show (I'm not really counting the power-failure-interrupted all-nighter performance at Rock City in Nottingham in 2003) finally came to an end at Tramshed on Wednesday night. Buzz review here.

I can't imagine that too many bands on the bill for Shiiine On weekenders past and present would name Big Black as a formative influence, boast an opening couplet like "I'M BITTER! I'M TWISTED! / JAMES JOYCE IS FUCKING MY SISTER!" or have a frontman who expresses empathy with Jeffrey Dahmer. So it's only to be hoped that Therapy? terrify a few bucket-hatted Britpop muppets into soiling themselves at this year's event. That'll give them an excuse to walk like Liam Gallagher, at least.

No comments: