Friday, September 24, 2021

Nevermind: the (dog's) bollocks

Happy 30th birthday to the album that, without exaggeration, changed my life.

I won't add much to the thousands upon thousands of words already written about Nevermind - not least because, back when this site was in its infancy, I summed up its inestimable impact on me personally in a post in the Music Sounds Better With You series. Its cultural importance - both at the time of its release and ever since - is profound and beyond dispute.

Here's the piece John Calvert wrote for the Quietus on its 20th birthday. If you ignore the somewhat tenuous framing within references to Gus Van Sant's film My Own Private Idaho, it's as astute and insightful an assessment of Nevermind as you'll read - bang on the money time and again.

No comments: