Monday, August 20, 2018

The shock of the new

I live in fear of becoming someone who dismissively claims that all modern music is shit or who settles into a (possibly comfortable) rut of listening to the same old music time and time again. Even then, though, I feel increasingly unable (and very occasionally even unwilling) to keep my finger anywhere near the pulse, I regularly find myself overwhelmed by the sheer amount of music instantly available and I must admit to often choosing to revisit familiar favourites ahead of investigating new artists.

Perhaps this shouldn't be the cause of muso guilt, though - after all, research suggests that to continue to discover and enjoy new music after the age of about 30 is to battle against the way our brains are hardwired.

(Thanks to Abbie for the link.)

No comments: