Sunday, March 26, 2017

Know Your Enemy

"In 1985, there was a kind of frustration about the status quo in music. Today, all I know about the music scene is when my kids play Heart FM and it's dreadful. Pop music is dreadful. I mean, you find a radio now, switch it on, and I guarantee it'll be garbage coming out. That still pisses me off."

Jim Reid of The Jesus & Mary Chain, in conversation with the Guardian's Alexis Petridis, adopting that classic promotional strategy of savaging everything else rather than merely talking up your own latest release. The release in question, Damage And Joy, is their first LP since 1998's Munki and came out on Friday to generally warm if not rabidly enthusiastic reviews.

If there's ever a new series of Grumpy Old Men, then the brothers Reid would be far more welcome participants than Rick Wakeman.

No comments: