Friday, April 13, 2012

Feel good hits of the 13th April

1. 'Here Today' - The Beach Boys
2. 'I Can Do That' - The Futureheads
3. 'Braintrust' - Hot Snakes
4. 'New Brigade' - Iceage
5. 'Fallout' - Moon Duo
6. 'A Ballad For The Bleeding' - Howling Bells
7. 'Wired' - I Break Horses
8. 'Orchard Street' - Thurston Moore
9. 'For Agent 13' - The Besnard Lakes
10. 'Vessel' - Zola Jesus

Notes:

1. OK, that's it - having only recently decided to actually buy a copy of Pet Sounds I now need directing to my nearest branch of Pet Sounds Anonymous. Sublime.

2. Not sure I'll be purchasing their new a capella album Rant, but its release has prompted me to revisit both This Is Not The World and The Chaos. I've been a bit dismissive of the latter in the past, but on reflection it does have a bit more leftfield edge than the former's nakedly ambitious attempt to reconnect with the masses. Whatever - 'I Can Do That' has the sort of chorus you just can't shake.

3. and 4. Shame on me, but I'd almost forgotten how much fun it is listening to noisy oiks like these way past the witching hour.

5., 7., 8. and 10. All to feature in that long-overdue Top Albums Of 2011 post.

6. Discussion: Howling Bells - where did it all go wrong? Karma for getting too big for their boots and turning their backs on Bella Union, perhaps?

3 comments:

Suresh said...

Just got the Zola Jesus album. Just the type of music am into at the moment.. Along a similar line (and arguably better) are new albums by Julia Holter, Grimes, Emika ... Can pass em on to you...

Ben said...

Which one did you get - Conatus? I think Stridulum II might be better. I'm not as keen on Conatus as I was when I first heard it - but, still, I'd be interested in hearing similar stuff.

Suresh said...

Yeh conatus... might buy the other one..since I "borrowed" the other one ...

Oh and these captcha images on Blogger really fudging suck balls!