Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Quote of the day

"What we need is more contemporary rock music that addresses or mirrors the chaos, the gray areas and the uneasiness. Just go listen to The Stooges or Bikini Kill for a second to remember what that sounds like. I enjoy sweet songs as much as the next person, but I'm tired of passive music that allows us to merely sit back. I want music that makes me sit up. Personally, I think it's time to shave the beard and risk getting a cut or two."

Ex Sleater-Kinney member Carrie Brownstein laments the fact that rock has gone "the way of the beard" - with props for Deerhunter, Black Mountain, The White Stripes and Andrew WK and disses for The Killers, The Darkness, Feist and Sufjan Stevens along the way.

(Thanks to Simon for the link.)

1 comment:

Betty said...

Perhaps the popularity of beardy, introspective acoustic music is a sign that indie fans are getting a bit older and wanting to have a nice sit down.

Mind you, it all washes over me and I'm 130.