Saturday, May 09, 2009

Feel good hits of the 9th May

Only a week since the last one, but what the hell - I've spent most of today trying to get rid of a hangover and listening to music...

1. 'Safari' - Holy Fuck
2. 'Hysteric' - Yeah Yeah Yeahs
3. 'White Dove' - Sleepy Sun
4. 'Soon' - It Hugs Back
5. 'Breaker' - Low
6. 'Tones Of Town' - Field Music
7. 'Weird Fishes/Arpeggi' - Radiohead
8. 'Sacred Trickster' - Sonic Youth
9. 'Parting Song For The Torn Sky' - Crystal Antlers
10. 'Parasites' - The Soft Pack

Notes:

1. A review of what was an awesome gig (of which 'Safari' was the last song of the encore) last night to follow.

2. It's Blitz! still very much has its claws stuck in me. But not the bloody acoustic versions I paid an extra four bloody quid for...

3. Sod's law, isn't it, that psych-rocking San Franciscans and ATP signings Sleepy Sun are busy playing ATP vs The Fans this weekend rather than the Breeders-curated festival I'll be at next weekend... Heard this and immediately pre-ordered their forthcoming debut Embrace.

4. A strange choice of support act for Holy Fuck, but they were good enough for me to buy their album Inside My Guitar. Thanks to Jonathan for the enthusiastic championing of them that meant I was determined not to miss their set, early as it was.

8. The Eternal was another online order this evening, as was Comets On Fire's Blue Cathedral (really going for it on the psych-rock front...), Magik Markers' Balf Quarry and the newie from My Latest Novel.

9. Did someone say "psych-rock"?

10. I can hear the Jonathan Richman influence pretty clearly, but I've not been blown away by what I've heard so far. Perhaps their ATP performance will change that.

2 comments:

Dead Kenny said...

Downloaded Sleepy Sun's 'Embrace' from ITunes a few months back now, I think you'll like it. Good music to nod your head in a slightly gormless manner to.

Ben said...

My kind of thing indeed!