Sunday, October 19, 2008

Come on, feel the noise

A few years ago, as an experiment which turned out to be more of an endurance test, Pete went to 14 gigs in 14 nights for a feature which went under the banner of Going Deaf For A Fortnight. His fellow Brum-based blogger and music afficionado RussL subsequently took up the gauntlet. I was always intrigued by the concept, though never thought I had the stamina to carry it out (and I almost certainly don't) - but that hasn't stopped me embarking on a frenzied fortnight of gig-going, of which I've now reached the midpoint.

Last week saw two trips to the Zodiac here in Oxford for the visits of Spiritualized and Holy Fuck, and last night an evening of experimental collaboration in Cardiff. (Reviews of the former two gigs, and possibly the latter too, to come.)

It's off to the Big Smoke tomorrow for the frankly unmissable Shred Yr Face triple bill featuring Los Campesinos!, No Age and Times New Viking at the Camden Electric Ballroom (to which Del will also be lured) and then two more locally based gigs on Wednesday and Thursday, Rolo Tomassi and Oxes respectively.

All of which more than makes up for the gigging drought of September and early October. Just wondering if I'll regret the decision not to make it seven in 12 days - Mogwai's London mini-festival featuring Fuck Buttons (amongst others) on Friday was sorely tempting, but ultimately I don't think either my bank balance or my ears could take it...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good on you, young man.

I'm still slightly sad that there hasn't been a Going Deaf For A Fortnight this year. Maybe in 2009.

Anonymous said...

I saw Mogwai. People told me to shush when I shouted "spam javelin" and other acquaintances followed with phallic variations during the really quiet bit at the start of Xmas Steps. I mean what is the world coming to?