Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Howling bells

Apparently there's a new Mogwai album imminent, called The Hawk Is Howling. Who knew? Well, apart from anyone who reads the music press and listens to the radio...

I've got slightly mixed feelings about the prospect. Mr Beast was in many ways their most accomplished record to date, but it didn't translate particularly well live - or, at least, the last time I saw them, headlining last year's Supersonic Festival in Birmingham, they were by their own standards rather flat and listless. That won't stop me buying the album, though.

And just when I'd taken a look at my bank balance from behind the back of the metaphorical sofa and decided I could only really stretch to Blood Red Shoes' debut, the Efterklang album and perhaps the new Isobel Campbell and Mark Lanegan collaboration, too...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw them at the Royal Elizabeth Hall last night. It was number 30. I am still quite deaf "SORRY, WHAT DID YOU SAY?" You know the venue is perfect for the 'Gwai when you hear the music bend and screech.

To be honest, it was predictably great, but the new stuff, a tad meh. I said to Chris it was a "bit boring" and it was heavier than their other stuff, in an album context. And if it's a bit boring live, how's it gonna sound on record? "Really boring". I doubt it, but I do worry so.

Ben said...

Sounds like Mr Beast Part II, then - 'Glasgow Mega-Snake' and 'We're No Here' being heavier than pretty much anything they'd done before, but some of the songs coming across as rather flat live (yes, 'Travel Is Dangerous', I'm looking at you). Perhaps I was a bit rash in my comment about Mr Beast - Happy Music is probably still my favourite.

Anyway, 30 times - that must be more times than you've had hot baths, young man...

Anonymous said...

Shut up. I've had on average at least two baths a year.

When I say 'heavier', I mean sludgier and more industrial. Stolid and brutal kind of stuff, not thrash happy bursts like Glasgow Mega-Snake.

And obviously, I meant the Queen Elizabeth Hall.

And shut up again. Young Team is the best. Oh to be at Summercase when they play the album in full there...