Sunday, June 17, 2007

Out of the loop

Since making the move to Abingdon, I've not been watching much TV at all. Not necessarily a bad thing, but I am missing being Streetwise. So imagine my surprise at discovering Sean Hughes is currently playing an Irish cad intent on charming his way into Eileen's pants - how long's he been in it?

I also finally saw my first installment of this series of 'Balderdash & Piffle'. A bit of a disappointment, to be honest - only half an hour long compared the first series' hour-long programmes, and it didn't feel like enough. Plus, judging by the way the producers have built up and overdramatised the bit where Victoria Coren pitches the new definitions and datings to the OED team, they've been watching too much 'Dragon's Den'. Still, it's a fascinating source of etymological trivia - I had no idea, for instance, that the earliest recorded use of the term "pole-dancing" is as recent as 1991...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How long has the current series of B&P been on?

I only found out there was a new series late last week (while glancing at the TV bit of The Metro on the bus), and it seems that the most recent episode isn't on Virgin Digital's replay-the-bleeder-for-free service.

Which is annoying, but there we are.

Is it Friday that it's on? Still BBC2?

Ben said...

Honestly couldn't tell you how long it's been on for - Friday was probably the first time I've come into contact with normal terrestrial TV for well over a month, and that was only because of a combination of being back in Cardiff and suffering from a bad dose of man flu.

I can tell you, though, that it's on Friday nights on BBC2 and then repeated later on Monday nights (I think) on the same channel.

Anonymous said...

My telly-watching has increased more than exponentially recently (from 'none' to 'some'), by dint of watching Dr Who for the last three weeks. I will definitely be a-watching B&P as well, though. I loved that.