Monday, April 23, 2007

Music to my ears

A not-at-all-veiled jumble of unrelated music links for you...

6 Music's Taxing Lyrical feature, for which they're asking you to submit your worst lyrics. Off the top of my head, I'd nominate the whole of Blur's 'Country House' (but especially the chorus), though, for a band I actually really like, Interpol have some dreadful lyrics. Here's a handy guide to some of the choicest examples from their debut. "Her stories are boring and stuff / She's always calling my bluff"? Dear oh dear.

Simon has alerted me to the fact that the next single from Los Campesinos! will be the really, truly, bloody marvellous 'You Me Dancing'. It's due to be released on 4th June, the day the septet play their first hometown date since November, headlining at the Point. With Help She Can't Swim confirmed as support, it promises to be quite a party. By that time, they may have mutated into serious eardrum botherers, if Tom and Ellen's presence at last Thursday's Wolf Eyes gig at Clwb was anything to go by. There'll be a review here once my headache's cleared...

Meanwhile, on Domino Rally, Steve's taken inspiration from The A-Z Of Music feature that ran on The Art Of Noise and set about posting mp3s from the darkest recesses of his record collection with an alphabetic theme. So far we've had Deerhoof, Gorky's Zygotic Mynci, Kitchens Of Distinction and The Bulgarian State Radio & Television Female Choir, amongst others.

And, on the subject of music sites, may I recommend The Missing Channel. The creation of (amongst others) James, author of Me And My CDs and regular contributor to The Art Of Noise, the site still taking shape but there's already a review of the latest Fall album up, and that in my book is a very good place to start.

Lastly but not leastly, Salvadore Vincent has been amusing himself and many others, me included, with his latest series of posts on Smaller Than Life in which song titles are depicted in the form of information graphics. Here's my favourite...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Re your post about Codeine's The White Birch on The Art of Noise (I couldn't find another way to contact you): Thank you for the nicely woven summary of Codeine's musical history and approach. We certainly tried as hard as we could to achieve something with the narrow limits we placed on our music. It's gratifying to find that some trace remains of our efforts.

Simon said...

If you can get it working, the You! Me! Dancing! video is on the NME Media Player. Apparently It Started With A Mixx will be the B-side.

Ben said...

Simon: Cheers!

Anonymous: Thanks for stopping by, and very kind of you! (My email's silentwordsspeakloudestAThotmail.com if you ever find yourself back around these parts.)