Saturday, September 30, 2006

Know Your Enemy

About time I resurrected this semi-regular feature, I think...

"Typically fussy, too-clever-by-half noodle by arguably the single most over-rated human being alive. In wiring together a thudding electronic beat, a bit of scratching, a vaguely South American rhythm, a rapidly mumbled lyric and a coda which sounds like another song entirely, Beck repeats his characteristic error of assuming that if he stuffs enough ideas into one track, nobody will notice that none of them are any good".

Andrew Mueller on Mr Hansen and 'Cell Phone's Dead', the lead single from his new album The Information.

The last Beck album I own is Mutations, and I haven't heard much of Guero at all. One of those artists I loved (and do very much still like), but whom I seem to have lost touch with over the past few years. Not a conscious decision, just a gradual parting of the ways.

No comments: