Wednesday, January 26, 2022

The man with the thorn in his side

In pot-calling-kettle-black-news, the famously shy and retiring Morrissey has publicly demanded that Johnny Marr stop shooting his mouth off - specifically, about him. "The fact is: you don't know me. You know nothing of my life, my intentions, my thoughts, my feelings. Yet you talk as if you were my personal psychiatrist with consistent and uninterrupted access to my instincts. We haven't known each other for 35 years ... Must you persistently, year after year, decade after decade, blame me for everything ... from the 2007 Solomon Islands tsunami to the dribble on your grandma's chin?" He might be a vegan, but he's evidently a fan of beef.

As some have pointed out, the irony is that Marr generally maintains a dignified silence about his former bandmate, despite having to endure every single interviewer routinely trying to squeeze a juicy soundbite out of him. But who could blame him if he didn't keep stumm, and instead very vocally distanced himself at every opportunity from someone whose toxic views on everything from COVID-19 to racism "persistently, year after year" piss on the Smiths' legacy?

Marr's response was nicely sharp, sarcastically explaining that "an 'open letter' hasn't really been a thing since 1953" (roughly the time when Moz's opinions might have been considered acceptable) and implying that the singer is an even bigger dimwit than Donald Trump. Ouch. Don't expect the reunion any time soon.

No comments: