Friday, November 19, 2021

Wearing your heart on your sleeve chest

As someone who's now back to working from home on a permanent basis and (mercifully) has few formal Zoom meetings cluttering up the diary, I can be found in a band T-shirt repping my faves most days of the week. The fact that today is 6 Music's annual T-Shirt Day simply meant that I deliberately picked one with a bit of a story.

And as a nostalgic old muso with a habit of investing inanimate objects with personal significance (and hence the owner of a box of worn-out tees that I can't bear to part with), I was delighted to discover the My Band T-Shirt blog, set up by Jude Rogers and Ian Wade more than a decade ago, to which contributors could submit pieces about garments that held special meaning for them. It's a brilliant route into exploring the connections between memories and music - the way certain moments turn out to be personal lightning strikes (to borrow a phrase from my current reading), and the way you find yourself wanting to proudly proclaim your fandom from the rooftops.

No doubt these ideas have fed into The Sound Of Being Human, the draft of which Jude has just submitted - but there's a book project in simply collecting and collating some of these stories, surely?

No comments: