Saturday, September 07, 2013

Poetic injustice

It never ceases to amaze me how many academic authors fail to reference properly. Presumably when they lecture to students, it's a case of "Do as I say, not as I do" - unless they're being hypocritical. But I suspect that this is almost always the result of laziness and time pressure rather than evidence of an attempt to get away with committing plagiarism - so when instances of true plagiarism come along, as in the case of C J Allen, they're genuinely eyebrow-raising. How he could think it was acceptable to get away with ripping off a fellow poet - and a fellow Nottingham poet in Matthew Welton, at that - is beyond me. And then to have the gall to claim that he had used Welton's poems "as a framework against which to build my own poem" - staggering.

(Thanks to Swiss Toni for the link.)

No comments: