Friday, October 19, 2012

Know Your Enemy

"I just got sick of all this mystical bullshit with everyone flinging their arms around going, 'I'm this mystical being' and then actually they're just really coke-snorting pains in the arses, and I was just like ‘this is becoming all very topsy-turvy’. I think if you truly are a spiritual person or if you've got that inside you don't need to dress it up, so I knew that I felt safe in who I am to wear a white t-shirt and just be like I can communicate something magical and wonderful and I don't need to push it in people's faces and I just didn't need to do it anymore."

Natasha Khan aka Bat For Lashes talks about the restraint of back-to-basics new album The Haunted Man. Maybe it's just me, but I hope that barb about "coke-snorting pains in the arses" is directed at Florence Welch.

If you didn't know, by the way, the record's lead single 'Laura' is superb. (Co-written with Justin Parker, who was behind Lana Del Rey's 'Video Games', it turns out.)

No comments: