Thursday, June 14, 2012

Know Your Enemy

"I can't think of any people outside of Weird Al Yankovic who have both embraced and pissed on rock more than I have. Obviously there's a level of reverence, but there's also a level of intelligence to even know what to piss on. Because I'm not pissing on Rainbow. I'm not pissing on Deep Purple. But I'll piss on fucking Radiohead, because of all this pomposity. This value system that says Jonny Greenwood is more valuable than Ritchie Blackmore. Not in the world I grew up in. Is Ritchie Blackmore a better guitar player than me and Jonny Greenwood? Yes. Have we all made valuable contributions? Yes. I'm not attacking that. I'm attacking the pomposity that says this is more valuable than that. I'm sick of that. I'm so fucking sick of that. I'm so fucking sick of it and nobody seems to tire of it."

As has been pointed out in the comments thread to this Guardian article, the irony of frontman Billy Corgan lambasting anyone else for pomposity is simply mind-boggling. Could he be any less self-aware?

And to think, I used to love Smashing Pumpkins (and still do love the early albums).

No comments: