Sunday, November 06, 2011

Feel good hits of the 6th November

1. 'Senator' - Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks
2. 'You're Blessed' - Iceage
3. 'The Best Person I Know' - Cat's Eyes
4. 'Oh My Lord' - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
5. 'Disconnection Notice' - Sonic Youth
6. 'Ohio' - The Low Anthem
7. 'Girls Of Valour' - The Delgados
8. 'Pink Sabbath' - Dananananaykroyd
9. 'The Ballad Of Phoebe Henderson' - Dallas Don't
10. 'Bittersweet Melodies' - Feist

Notes:

1. Mirror Traffic's a very good album indeed, if not quite up with predecessor Real Emotional Trash in my view - a bit of a retreat from the freewheeling stoned jams of that album and back to the eccentric indie rock of his first three solo efforts. Damn that Pavement reunion for delaying its release...

2. Fascists or not, this is tremendous - No Age scrapping with early Futureheads.

3. I don't think I'm ever going to really get The Horrors, but Cat's Eyes is a little gem.

4. Not sure what possessed me to dig out No More Shall We Part, but suffice to say I've been reminded just why it's still my favourite Nick Cave LP.

5. Y'know, just because.

6. Neither Oh My God Charlie Darwin nor Smart Flesh really matches up to how good The Low Anthem were at Glastonbury - still, worth having all the same.

8. Fare thee well, Dananananaykroyd - nice knowing you (not very well and not for very long).

10. Just about the only decent thing on the only instalment of Later... that I've seen in this series. Also on: Mastodon (plodding metal guff), Bon Iver (nope, still don't get it) and Ben L'Oncle Soul doing unspeakable things to 'Seven Nation Army'.

5 comments:

skif said...

I echo your remarks on Low Anthem. Utterly bewitching the first time I saw them, but not listened to the records that much. My fellow London-based Hawk is a big fan though.

Also, while I'm here, I notice some favourites of mine, Future Islands, have been added to 'your' ATP. I should tell you, feeling like I've got a decent handle on your tastes, that if I was a betting man, I'd lay a fair few quid on you abhoring them with a passion. Don't say I've not warned you! ;-)

Ben said...

That just makes me want to check them out all the more! (Are you doing their PR?!) I've heard of them but not heard them - may investigate beforehand.

skif said...

Not sure if a VP written description is any good to you.

http://vanityprojectuk.wordpress.com/2009/09/16/56/

Loud & Quiet gave their latest album a good review but the first line was "that voice is still a major barrier to entry" and I'd agree with that. I love their gigs (been to six of 'em), but I can well imagine them having the opposite effect on some people.

I'd be pleasantly surprised if you dig their gear. Still, even if not, that is about as eclectic an ATP bill as I've seen, so something else will come along after if you're not digging them of course.

I am so tempted to go, with them, Omar Souleyman, Mondai and Faccy Floor on the bill, but it would be a poor use of resources when next summer's festivals might throw up something interesting.

Ben said...

It's eclectic all right (not surprising given that there are three different curators), but perhaps not quite so eclectic as the Godspeed! ATP - on the Sunday alone (which I still need to write up...) I saw alt-folk, black metal, Afrobeat and Weird Al Yankovic...

skif said...

I suppose so, I look forward to finding out what that Sunday was like