Thursday, March 03, 2011

Thrills, bills and bellyaches

My 2010 Green Man and Godspeed! ATP write-ups may STILL not be wrapped up (oh the continuing, stinging shame), but with new line-up announcements seeming to be made every day my thoughts are naturally turning to what lies ahead.

First, the festival I'm definitely going to: Glastonbury, of course. I won't be enduring Coldplay or U2 this year (unless I'm arrested, transported to Guantanamo Bay and tortured by them into confessing to crimes I haven't committed), but Beyonce might at least be worth a look and the latest raft of additions as announced to the Guardian by Emily Eavis includes Fleet Foxes, Warpaint, Crystal Castles and Gruff Rhys.

Fleet Foxes would have been the main draw for this year's Green Man - until, that is, the organisers pulled both Explosions In The Sky and Holy Fuck out of the bag. Still, I suspect that a limited supply of cash and one summer festival already booked will mean I'm more likely to plump for an ATP in December. The line-up for the first, curated by Neutral Milk Hotel's Jeff Mangum, doesn't yet feature anyone I'd be crazy about, but the newly-announced second will have a different curator on each day: Battles, Caribou and Les Savy Fav respectively. No more information than that yet, but it sounds very tempting indeed...

Incidentally, when did the bill for this May's Animal Collective shebang improve? There's still not much I'd be desperate to see, but Beach House and Atlas Sound would be welcome. As for I'll Be Your Mirror and the Flaming Lips Don't Look Back gig in July, I'm trying to ignore the fact that I won't be going...

No comments: