Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Yeah Yeah YEAH

Thank you Mr Eavis. Just when I needed a crumb of comfort (if you want to know why and don't mind protracted hand-wringing and teeth-gnashing, head over here), he's only gone and released news of a rather spiffing Glastonbury line-up.

Headliners Neil Young, Bruce Springsteen and Blur were already confirmed, but now the additional presence of Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Fleet Foxes, Bon Iver, Maximo Park, Franz Ferdinand, Dizzee Rascal, Jarvis Cocker, The Soft Pack, Bat For Lashes and - yes - Spinal Tap amongst others has also been announced. The only fly in the ointment I can see is the potential direct clash between Neil Young and Animal Collective, but hopefully it'll be possible to work around that.

5 comments:

Ian said...

Having seen both - go for Neil Young. Trust me.

Ben said...

Really? Tell me more...

(I was inclined to see some of Neil Young but try and see as much of Animal Collective as possible.)

Ian said...

http://fractional.blogspot.com/2009/05/dont-go-home-with-your-hard-on.html

But jeeze, if you've seen AC already and you haven't seen Neil Young, then I would think the choice is even more obvious! He was great when I saw him.

Ben said...

I haven't seen either... Need to get Merriweather Post Pavillion before the festival. That does sound like quite a frustrating gig, though.

Ian said...

Mike Orme down in San Francisco saw them after I did and said they were horrible, so...

I mean, if they were the only ones playing, then of course check them out. But Young opened with a thunderous "Love and Only Love" and followed it up with a version of "Hey Hey My My" that I thought was going to crack the sky. And he played "Cortez the Killer" and a host of other favourites. The new stuff was decent, but the old stuff (and he played plenty) was transcendent.