Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Know Your Enemy

"Why should I have that guy running down the country? Who the fuck is he? How the hell are they doing?"

The normally oily-smooth Business Secretary Peter Mandelson on Howard Schulz, chief executive of Starbucks, following his claim that the UK economy is in a "spiral". Schulz has since apologised (while no doubt muttering "Who the fuck is this guy?" under his breath), but it's unlikely Mandy will be ordering himself a mochachoccalattefrappechino any time soon.

It's the first I'd heard of Starbucks being "troubled", but, aside from towards those set to lose their jobs on ground level, I can't say I'm particularly sympathetic. Their overly sweet concoctions (I hesitate to call them coffees) and clusterfuck mentality towards store openings I'd be glad to see the back of.

2 comments:

Jonathan said...

Mate, it's coming. The financial troubles are just a smokescreen

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/28657

Ben said...

Genius - but then when is it not?