Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Feel good hits of the 26th November

1. 'White Winter Hymnal' - Fleet Foxes
2. 'Disaster' - The Besnard Lakes
3. 'The End Of The Asterisk' - Los Campesinos!
4. 'Giddy Stratospheres' - The Long Blondes
5. 'Spirits Rise' - Fuck Buttons
6. 'Art Teacher' - Rufus Wainwright
7. 'Avalanche' - Leonard Cohen
8. 'The Sun' - Fridge
9. 'The Jean Genie' - David Bowie
10. 'Racing Like A Pro' - The National

How's it taken me so long to cotton on to Fleet Foxes?! Well, I'm blaming YOU for loving them and not insisting on pressing a copy of their album into my hands. Now to investigate whether I can make it to their Roundhouse show in the new year...

'Avalanche' puts in an appearance on the CD I recently received from RussL as part of Swiss Toni's annual Shuffleathon project - full review to appear here shortly.

On a tangential music tip, Steve Lamacq on 6music has inspired Jonathan to write about his favourite band T-shirts purchased at gigs. Two of my favourites were picked up after shows (The Icarus Line in 2002 and Low in 2003), and I'm still at it, most recently becoming the proud owner of what became known on the Shred Yr Face tour as the "classic" No Age T-shirt with the band name in huge multi-coloured caps.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a good start, then. Were you aware of 'Avalanche' before, though?

Del said...

Fleet Foxes are lovely. I initially resisted, for fear of overhype, but relented, having remembered how foolish i looked after ignoring Arcade Fire for identical reasons. Sometimes bands are hyped up because they're good. Sometimes...

And fave band T Shirt from gig? My My Blood Valentine T from the Roundhouse shows is a thing of wonder to me.