Saturday, September 08, 2007

Is it just me...

... or does the addition of the website address to the latest Spillers T-shirts suggest preparations are being made for the enforced closure of the shop? I hope not, but with the St David's 2 development now well underway, it's probably prudent to anticipate the rent rises which will inevitably follow. You can sign the petition to save the shop here.

Today's haul comprised of Fridge's The Sun and Monkey Swallows The Universe's The Casket Letters, both purchases made on the back of performances at Green Man, plus singles by Interpol, Liars and Maps. I also liked what I heard on a listening post of The Voices' new LP The Sound Of Young America - having also enjoyed them when they supported Dead Meadow at Clwb last May, I think I'll be back for that. (Incidentally, Dead Meadow's Feathers is also definitely on the shopping list.)

3 comments:

skif said...

Ah Spillers. What a fine fine place with such knowledgable and friendly staff. I'd be sad to see it go. Don't get to Cardiff often, but when I do, I do have to pop in.

In fact I was there for a wedding last Saturday and I did manage to dig in there for half an hour and undertake my traditional Spillers golden gamble - buying a couple of things I've not heard of before to try out.

Hornby Pylons mini LP was pretty good, and I shall get round to the record by Mute sometime this week.

No other record shop inspires me to spend money randomly in this way.

Ben said...

Selectadisc in Nottingham has the same effect on me!

Hornby Pylons - I know a couple of the folks involved in them. They're also in Silence At Sea and part of the Little My collective. Actually, one of them, Laura, is the female singer with Pagan Wanderer Lu.

Lucy Dee said...

Nice music choice. I'm an avid music fan. I've just been skint as of late to be able to spend it on delectable recorded music!

Nice coming across your blog! I'm a standup comedienne from NYC blogging her way to stardom. I would love it if you (the one with the refined taste in music) stop by my way and left an insightful comment--relevant comments are always appreciated, especially from new blogger buddies.

Feel free to reach me at:

Quest For Comedic Stardom
http://standup101.blogspot.com