Sunday, January 15, 2006

(Well) behind the times

Guess which album is currently rocking the SWSL stereo? Yes, The Back Room by Editors, which was released a whole six months ago. My finger may have slipped from the pulse a bit, I fear - not that it's ever on it for very long, that is...

The early verdict? Very sound stuff, but not particularly stirring. I think I'd take their American forefathers Interpol ahead of them.

Perusal of the sleevenotes has revealed that the black-and-white live photos are the work of Ami Barwell, who also took the photos for the article that came out of my encounter with Pavement way back in October 1999. Her website showcases some of her work, including the liner photos for Black Rebel Motorcycle Club's Take Them On, On Your Own.

I picked The Back Room up during a spending spree in Selectadisc in Nottingham last week, the first for quite a while. My haul also included Cuts Across The Land by The Duke Spirit, Good Morning Spider by Sparklehorse and United By Fate by Rival Schools, as well as singles / EPs from Field Music, Amusement Parks On Fire and The Pipettes. All for a (very) grand total of just under £30. Brilliant.

The trip would, however, have been even better if they'd had Black Dice's Beaches & Canyons in stock. Even then, though, if I hadn't stopped to ask an assistant, I would have probably left the shop without hearing the album on the stereo, something by Bristol psycho-stoners The Heads. Very good it was, too. You don't get that with Amazon.

No comments: