Monday, March 31, 2003

Quote of the day

Chris Habib on the Stars and Stripes:

"I say "fuck the flag" because it's lost its meaning. It's devoid of all that it once stood for. Desecrate it and start afresh. Take it back, renew its meaning and then return it to the glory of old. It's not disrespectful at all. It's patriotic. Too many people who wave it and rally behind it do so as a consumer convention. It's an icon that people buy and sell and buy and sell into. The lapel pins, the window-clings, the T-shirts, bags, skateboards and fluttering graphics that mar the lower-third of my television... it's become a crass tool of accessible conspicuous consumption.... I will neither wave, nor salute, nor hide behind an icon that has been hijacked by an administration of pirates and poisons. I will not have them wrap my mind in a fabric of a nationalism that I neither condone nor identify with."

(Taken from Habib's 'label statement' for Protest Records, set up by himself and Sonic Youth's Thurston Moore in response to the invasion of Iraq - thanks to Wisdom Goof for the link)

No comments: