Tuesday, July 28, 2026

"I’ve never been more excited about a record and I’m not even on it!"

Late last year came the unexpected and extremely exciting news that punk veterans and long-term pals Henry Rollins and Ian MacKaye had teamed up to record new music together. I haven't seen or heard anything more on that front - but at least one of their other joint projects is about to bear fruit.

The pair, whose impressionable teenage minds were blown by attending a Cramps gig together in 1979, are now part of the team breathing life back into the psychobilly legends' label Vengeance Records and setting up Cramps, Inc to look after their business interests. First up will be the release of lost 1977 album Gravest Gravy, produced by Alex Chilton, with at least nine reissues to follow.

Full credit to Rollins and MacKaye for working for free - though that shouldn't come as a surprise. What better way to pay tribute to your heroes than to make sure more people are able to enjoy their genius?

No comments: