Saturday, April 06, 2024

Leap of faith

Like many people, I imagine, I first came across the photo that Charles Peterson recently identified as his best on the back cover of Nirvana's live album From The Muddy Banks Of The Wishkah (albeit with added blur). It's an incredible image - a fan in mid-air, having hurled himself off the top of the amp, suspended momentarily above the heads of the crowd.

The photo may not actually feature any members of the band, but it speaks volumes about the frenzy that Nirvana could create even before the release of Nevermind. It's also vindication of Peterson's tactic of being in the thick of the action: "The way I work is very loose and fluid, and I liked to get involved, so I was often dancing at the same time that I was photographing. That was something that bands liked too."

No comments: