Tuesday, March 26, 2024

Buried treasures

If you read one review of Julia Holter's new LP Something In The Room She Moves today, read this one, by Pitchfork's Jazz Monroe - a superb example of the artform, in the terms recently set out on this very site by Treble's Jeff Terich.

If you read two, here's mine for Buzz.

As an artist, it must be infuriating to have people clamouring for you to essentially make the same album again, especially if you're a naturally restless and creative free spirit like Holter. I can't help continuing to yearn for Have You In My Wilderness Part 2 - but, with every listen since I submitted the write-up, the album has revealed more of its depths and delights. In Holter's own words on 'Spinning', "What is the circular magic I'm visiting?" I'm still not quite sure, but feel compelled to try to find out.

No comments: