Monday, October 18, 2021

Black magic

Having written about JR Moores' history of all things heavy, it was about time I actually read it. That I would love Electric Wizards was pretty much a foregone conclusion - and so it proved. Both enlightening and entertaining, it's a book I can see myself regularly dipping back into.

Electric Wizards is just one of the publications that features in this Deep Cuts episode entitled "Music Books You Should Read", alongside the likes of Harry Sword's Monolithic Undertow and David Browne's Sonic Youth biog Goodbye Twentieth Century, which also sit on my shelves. Thanks to Oliver Kemp for not only pointing  in the direction of some recommended reading on jazz and ambient, but also reminding me that I still haven't read either Kim Gordon's Girl In A Band or John Higgs' book (loosely) about The KLF.

Incidentally, the premise for Higgs' next book Love And Let Die - that The Beatles and James Bond represent love and death (or Eros and Thanatos, if you'd prefer) respectively, opposed and yet intertwined - holds a lot of promise. Given his reading of 'Helter Skelter', mind, Moores might disagree...

No comments: