Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Cheap laughs

There's often a debate to be had about the best joke of the Edinburgh Fringe, but this year the winner - a one-liner from Ken Cheng - is especially questionable: "I'm not a fan of the new pound coin, but then again, I hate all change." Not only did a panel of comedy critics choose it among their selection, but it then won the approval of the public with a whopping 33 per cent of the vote.

Pretty much all of the gags on the list are funnier than that, I'd say - my favourite being Mark Simmons' effort: "Combine Harvesters. And you'll have a really big restaurant." I also enjoyed Frankie Boyle's contender: "Trump's nothing like Hitler. There's no way he could write a book."

Speaking of Trump and comedy, the dumbfuck president and various others were beautifully ridiculed by Tina Fey on Saturday Night Live - all while she was attempting to ensure that "sheet caking" is now a thing. I'm a big fan of 30Rock but haven't seen many of her appearances on the show on which she made her name, so this was a pleasure.

No comments: