Wednesday, February 04, 2015

Quote of the day

"I was born with the gift of, like, corrosive sweat – this high-saline content Portuguese man-sweat coming from every pore of my body. Maybe I have twice as many pores as the average person or something – I get really wet when I play – it's super gross, super nasty, and it all goes into this guitar that doesn't even rust: it just turns it into powder. It just corrodes it like acid . It's insane. And so more than beating the guitar up and throwing it and hammering on it and dropping it, just me holding it is probably causing it more damage than anything else."

John Reis - of Rocket From The Crypt, Hot Snakes, Drive Like Jehu, Night Marchers and others - talks to Tom Hall of The Quietus about guitar abuse, as well as onstage uniforms, baking old tapes, Krautrock and hanging out with Mick Fleetwood. The interview was prompted by the release of his new album, a surf rock collaboration with garage punks The Blind Shake that sounds very promising indeed.

No comments: