Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Listen without prejudice

"Had your brain shut down upon being asked 'What kind of music do you like?'?" Yes. "Forced someone to listen to something obscure because you wanted to 'educate' them?" Yep. "Felt like ranking your favourite music of the year was a necessary thing to do?" Absolutely (the run-down for 2013 will appear here shortly, honest...). All things considered, then, it's a wonder I only scored 42 out of 100 on this alleged test of how much of a music nerd/snob you are.

Perhaps, though, it's because I don't give much of a toss about collecting expensive rarities, ripping music digitally or buying pricey stereo equipment and/or vinyl. I also fail to understand how anyone can possibly alphabetise their record collection. I mean, you can do it, but what happens if you then buy something by Abba? If your collection is, like mine, spread across several racks, then putting it in the correct place alphabetically would necessitate shifting pretty much your entire collection. Much better to use my system, surely - positioned chronologically according to date purchased, from oldest to most recent.

Incidentally, I notice that the test was put together by Matthew Perpetua, founder of Fluxblog, the original MP3 blog and one of the first blogs I ever linked to in my sidebar. He's also written for Rolling Stone, Slate and other publications, so you do wonder quite what he's doing wasting time on trivial stuff like this.

(Also, don't worry - I'm not about to start doing every inane "What Hollyoaks character are you?" style Buzzfeed quiz and posting the results here...)

(Thanks to Abbie for the link.)

No comments: