Wednesday, March 05, 2014

Quote of the day

"I’m involved in a really sweet relationship and it really does make me happy, it truly does. But I’ll always have that experience of sadness that a separation brings, especially one that was as important, not just to me but everybody around us. There have been some fall-outs, but that’s to be expected. It’s pretty heavy."

Thurston Moore opens up to The Fly about his split with Kim Gordon and new relationship with Eva Prinz, apparently feeling some regret at the demise of his marriage and Sonic Youth. Presumably he felt he owed the magazine a bit of an exclusive after they named him a Living Legend - indeed the interview took place the day of the awards ceremony.

Interviewer Ben Homewood describes his subject as "a slightly craggy 55-year-old" - a description I'd have thought ill-suited, but, judging by the picture used on the magazine's cover, the Peter Pan of rock is finally starting to show his age. Now living in London, Moore's apparently working towards a new solo album "inspired by his pop sensibility, Japanese noise bands, New Zealand’s Dead C and the 'fun dangerous, liberation of the idea of noise as complete rock‘n’roll'".

Despite the turbulence of the last few years, Moore does come across as content - not least when he looks back with pride (quite rightly) at Sonic Youth's achievements: "I’ve crossed paths with a lot of people who were inspirational to me. I’ve worked with Richard, Patti, Iggy, Bowie… When Sonic Youth came to some kind of prominence a lot of [those] people certainly recognised it as a progression of work they’d already established. For me that’s one of the greatest things, to know them. Sonic Youth became part of that fabric, that lineage. That’s all I really ever wanted."

No comments: